Carol's Puzzle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What I had in mind

+14
canuck girl
ajchimaera
Eric
Corwin
Avara
Turin
Graeme of the stupidly lo
Alanna
nadine
Janet-Xenia
InKibus
Juliejools
tree
Cyanure
18 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

What I had in mind - Page 2 Empty Re: What I had in mind

Post  Alanna Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:30 pm

I thought the ribbon would go through all puzzle pieces, and I really liked the idea that we only get the "entrance" and "exit" marked. Everybody can draw a pink line, and if someone doesn't draw, they can write somehting, for instance.
Alanna
Alanna

Back to top Go down

Post  Janet-Xenia Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:02 pm

I drew out some designs of what I had envisioned. I'll get them up here tonight, I just can't do it right now.

Janet-Xenia

Back to top Go down

Post  Juliejools Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:31 pm

Alanna wrote:I thought the ribbon would go through all puzzle pieces, and I really liked the idea that we only get the "entrance" and "exit" marked. Everybody can draw a pink line, and if someone doesn't draw, they can write somehting, for instance.

It's what we thought too but it really makes it complicated...if you look back at Cyanure's first post in this thread she says
"Something very simple, as drawings for the children."

If you have an idea show us. We spent 3-4 hours last night working through many designs, tryng to keep it simple and easy for everyone. If it gets too complicated it takes people too long to do, we want to get it going asap.

Remember the pieces will only be 3 inches (7.5cm) square, trying to fit a ribbon and a picture on that isn't easy.
Juliejools
Juliejools

Back to top Go down

Post  Janet-Xenia Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:04 am

OK, I don't know if it's my computer, my server, or my own ignorance, but i pushed all the buttons it told me to and I can't get my pictures to show up here.

I e-mailed them to Graeme. For some reason, I can get that to work, but not this. #1 couldn't figure it out either.

Janet-Xenia

Back to top Go down

Post  Janet-Xenia Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:59 am

Here I am, double posting.

About the ribbon. I think we want to stick to a fairly narrow 1/4" or so. It can just be a pink line or highlighted and shadowed--even twisted-- to your heart's content. In fact, I don't see why it couldn't grow and shrink, depending on the needs and wants of the person doing a piece--as long as it returns to the norm when it exits, so as to match up with the next piece.

Janet-Xenia

Back to top Go down

Post  Juliejools Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:10 am

Then we get different shades of pink from piece to piece as we will all have different types of paint.
Juliejools
Juliejools

Back to top Go down

Post  Avara Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:19 am

My only comment on Graeme and Jool's design is this: I prefer a "traditional" Breast Cancer pink ribbon, but if doing that is not feasible, then I am fine with what you have come up with. I just think that the more traditional ribbon suits Carol as she is currently a breast cancer patient, and in the future she will be a survivor. That symbol is a potent one - ask any family who has been affected by the disease.
Avara
Avara

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme of the stupidly lo Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:29 am

Here are the images from Janet...

What I had in mind - Page 2 Xp1

What I had in mind - Page 2 Xp2

What I had in mind - Page 2 Xp3

What I had in mind - Page 2 Xp4

What I had in mind - Page 2 Xp5

What I had in mind - Page 2 Xp6

What I had in mind - Page 2 Xp7

What I had in mind - Page 2 Xp8

http://www.graeme-skinner.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme of the stupidly lo Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:30 am

I'll take a scribble pad to work today and see what else I can think of.

Back to top Go down

Post  Avara Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:28 am

Graeme of the stupidly lo wrote:Rather than finish each piece with varnish/sealer/whatever perhaps we could ask Inki to make a frame for the completed puzzle which can be sent to Carol when she has all the pieces then all she'd need to do is buy a piece of glass and put it together - then the pieces are protected and it's easy to display.
The frame is a good idea, and I have another to toss out. (Ducking.)

Since time is of the essence and shipping pieces to several different people before they ever go to Carol is far too risky in my opinion (it's a trip to Zanzibar waiting to happen), perhaps we leave the option of varnish up to Carol once she's received all the pieces? Then she could ship the entire puzzle to InKi for preservation.
Avara
Avara

Back to top Go down

Post  Janet-Xenia Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:40 am

Thanks Graeme, I'm sorry I have no talent or know how when it comes to getting pictures on forums. I'll take time to learn it some day, but today wasn't the day.

Anyway, those pictures should give you a vague idea of my idea--taking the ribbon through each piece of the puzzle, then letting each individual decide exactly how(e) the ribbon will go through their particular piece. The last picture shows an idea of what we might end up with. Two pieces will have the ribbon "ends" on them.

The ribbon may change shades a bunch of times, but as long as we try to keep it close to a medium shade (half red, half white) we should be close enough to keep the continuity.

OK, that's my idea. We need to finish up soon with all of everybody's ideas and make decisions so we can get this road on the show.

Janet-Xenia

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:49 pm

I really love your idea, Janet ! I've always loved celtic knotwork so I think i could make something fun with the ribbon. I vote Yes Very Happy
Eric
Eric

http://eric.faurebrac.club.fr/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  Juliejools Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:18 pm

Ok here are the reasons why I abandoned the idea of puzzle shaped pieces and the ribbon in the way Janet has done it. It was my first option and I worked on it for some time but kept coming up with problems.

1.. each piece will have to be marked in someway so that the person decorating it knows which way is up.
2.. each piece will need an exact template made, should it go missing a new identical piece will have to be cut.
3.. Graeme and I will have to make a note of exactly which piece goes to which person in the event of something going missing.
4.. the above points all add to the time it take to get the pieces cut and mailed out leaving people with less time to decorate their piece.
5..Graeme will also have to decide the "route" of the ribbon and mark the entry and exit points on each piece, again adding to the timetaken.
6..As I already mentioned each person will have a different shade of pink and so the ribbon will not look like it flows through the puzzle at all.

Avara, I hear what you say about the actual symbol of the breast cancer ribbon. I actually have 2 ribbons that I want to put onto my piece.

Graeme has been on the phone and says he has an idea that includes actual ribbon, he'll show you later when he gets home.

If we use square pieces then we can have a stock of squares on standby should any go missing.

I also agree with Avara on the subject of posting directly to Carol, it's less journeys for things to go wrong. As you know silly season is approaching and the postal services do get swamped, we don't want to risk losing anything.
Juliejools
Juliejools

Back to top Go down

Post  nadine Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:20 pm

Thanks a lot for the sketches everyone! this is more clear in my mind as well now.

I think that since Graeme and Jools will have the whole puzzle in their hands, they can make a sort of sketch on it in pencil in case we'd want the ribbon to have a certain shape (like breast cancer one) and then the people receiving their bit of puzzle would just have to respect the design and so it would all fit nicely in the end. I'm guessing Carol's has breastcancer from what I read, so that'll really have a meaning for her, I'm with Avara there.

Other thing, like random idea. Some Hobblings friends of mine, are doing a HOB Pod for fun, like anybody with a microphone tapes a little message and then it's all patch together, I thought it was a wonderful idea, maybe those with a microphone here could tape a little encouragement message for carol and I could ask my friend Em to patch it all together, it's fast, it's free and requires not too much 'thinking' and little equipement. what do you think?

nadine

Back to top Go down

Post  Corwin Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:04 pm

I don't like the ribbon idea, because I think it makes for an unimaginative design. I'm not saying it is not good as an idea, just that the resulting picture would be a little obring if it were just the ribbon, and that the ribbon would be somewhat out of place if there is an actual picture on the piece. That being said, I will side with the majority, of course.
If you carry on with the ribbon idea, another annoying thing despite the problems of continuity previously mentioned is that it adds further restrictions to the free-will creativity of people, as forcing the entry and exit points of the ribbon on each piece (which would be mandatory). Enforcing the actual track of the ribbon on the pieces would be completely over the top.
Corwin
Corwin

Back to top Go down

Post  Juliejools Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:13 pm

Corwin wrote:
If you carry on with the ribbon idea, another annoying thing despite the problems of continuity previously mentioned is that it adds further restrictions to the free-will creativity of people, as forcing the entry and exit points of the ribbon on each piece (which would be mandatory). Enforcing the actual track of the ribbon on the pieces would be completely over the top.

I agree there. Whilst not actually enforcing the track of the ribbon we would need an idea of where it would go to mark the entry and exit points otherwise it wouldn't match up.

Nadine, the voice messages maybe a good idea but just not now, we can't get this organised yet, adding another project would just add more chaos, but thanks for the thought, it could be a future project Wink
Juliejools
Juliejools

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme of the stupidly lo Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:33 pm

I know the original idea was for a puzzle, but my thoughts turned to ribbon and the square 'tiles' this morning and wondered if we could turn the puzzle into a wall hanging. Simply because the elements are there that we have been discussing but it removes some of the problems mentioned earlier. This is just a rough rough picture but hopefully you'll get the idea...

What I had in mind - Page 2 Carol_puzzle1a

Simply we give Carol a small thin piece of wood with some pegs in it along with some pink ribbon, we then do whatever we want on the white square pieces of wood. The benefit of this idea is that the pieces are interchangeable, it does not matter which order Carol strings them in, and if other people want to join in later on there is scope to add further pieces; also if some people would prefer their tiles to be finished they can be forwarded to Inki - as they're not going to be right next to one another it does not matter if the surface of one is slightly different to the other Smile

The downside obviously is that it's not a puzzle Shocked

Graeme

Back to top Go down

Post  Janet-Xenia Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:41 pm

OK, another thought.

If we abandon the thought of puzzle shaped pieces and throw out the ribbon, there's no reason why Graeme and Jools would have to do anything for anyone else. Each Hower could go to their local hardware store/lumber yard and get a 4 inch square of 1/4 inch wood and do whatever they want with it and send it to Carol. She could arrange the pieces any way she wants and send the whole thing to Inki for finishing. If anything goes astray, a new piece can be acquired with no more trouble than another trip to the hardware store, and if we don't have the right amount of squares, we could send her some "blanks" to fill in the holes. It would be a mosaic, not a puzzle at all, but it would answer the "simple" requirement.

Janet-Xenia

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme of the stupidly lo Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:49 pm

I'd still rather send squares out then at least they'll all match, size wise. If the finish is different it does not really matter (as the contents will all be different) but it would look better if they all started out the same, so the holes all matched. Also, if we do decide on a dangling do-da rather than a puzzle perhaps a thinner stock than 1/4 inch would be better for the ribbon to hold.

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme of the stupidly lo Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:51 pm

Of course if people do want to proceed with this idea and would like to but their own stock I can put some measurements online for them to work off (hole size and position etc.) Then anyone who would like a piece supplied rather than making their own I can send them out whilst everyone else can do it themselves Very Happy

Graeme

Back to top Go down

Post  Janet-Xenia Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:55 pm

Graeme, your post jumped in while I was editing mine.

I'm not crazy about the idea of making Carol tie a bunch of fussy little knots in order to assemble her present. However, the ribbon could be simply threaded in the top hole and out the bottom and into the next tile. There would need to be a knot and a small weight at the bottom of each ribbon to keep the last tile from tilting away from the wall.

Again, no reason for you to make all the tiles yourself.

We don''t want to go too thin on the stock or it will blow around and not hang straight.

Janet-Xenia

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme of the stupidly lo Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:01 pm

Janet-Xenia wrote:Graeme, your post jumped in while I was editing mine.

Thinking as I type Smile

I'm not crazy about the idea of making Carol tie a bunch of fussy little knots in order to assemble her present.

Both Carol and Guen are quite handy with needle and thread so tying a knot or two in a ribbon won't present much of a problem for them. I'll see if I have some thin board lying around tomorrow and see what it actually looks like (it may look rubbish - my sketches can make anything look wonderful silent

There is still time for other suggestions though everyone, so get scribbling Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme of the stupidly lo Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:19 pm

On this one you have to use your imagination a fair bit Surprised as the sketch is very rough Smile

What I had in mind - Page 2 Carol_puzzle1b

The text would be painted on before being sent out to be inscribed/doodled upon; on the plus side it's a puzzle (okay a simple one) and the text can be in the breast cancer ribbon pink. The downside would be if any piece went missing Crying or Very sad

Graeme

Back to top Go down

Post  Janet-Xenia Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:34 pm

You know, we could still go with the flowing ribbon idea and do our own squares. we could just number a grid and make an outline where each piece has the ribbon entering or exiting at a point 1/2 inch from one corner or another. Everyone could pick their piece and write the grid number on the back for Carol to assemble. Inki could even build a frame with the grid in it for Carol to stick in the pieces.

I'm just full of ideas--among other things. What we need now is a decision.

Janet-Xenia

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme of the stupidly lo Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:06 pm

The problem is if everyone does their own square and then marks in the entry/exit of the ribbon themselves it would probably look messy... one person measures a fraction high the next a fraction low and the pieces don't match up, add to that the different colours and it would not look right IMO. If we want to do a puzzle where the pieces match up against each other they'd need to be cut from the same stock and prepared all the same for them to match. There is no problem in cutting out some material and priming them for everyone, we just need to decide on the look.

A note on the dangling do-da idea perhaps I could turn a few pegs and send them over to Inki for her to make the top part up? Is that possible Inki?

Graeme

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum