What I had in mind

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Re: What I had in mind

Post  Avara on Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:39 am

I agree with Graeme that one person needs to cut out all the pieces so that all the holes match up and everything looks uniform. Plus, the only "hardware" stores I have around me are Lowes and Home Depot. I really loathe going in there and telling them I need them to saw down a 4x4 piece a 1/4" thick, oh "and can you drill holes in it for me too?" I have absolutely no decent tools here to do any of that, and all the stuff at the farm is locked until next June.

My vote goes for the more collage look with Graeme (as he volunteered) cutting out all the pieces.
Avara

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  InKibus on Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:03 am

Agreed that one person (Graeme, most likely) cuts them out. I could make a piece, but it's not worth forcing everyone else to do that step.

EDIT-Going back and read through this, I do sort of like the wall-hanging option with the pink ribbon holding it together.
i am easy either way.
InKibus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alanna on Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:15 pm

You're going so fast...

I liked the idea on Janet's scribbles, but I admit I'm not familiar at all with the original breast cancer ribbon, that's why I thought just a pink ribbon alluring to it going through the whole piece would be fine.

I'm still very much for the puzzle idea, thought the wall-hanging piece looks nice too. I'll support whatever is more practical/feasable in the end.

As for supply of pieces, much as I hate to burden Graeme with more work, I'm with Avara and InKi there, it's best all pieces come from the same source and some of us might have the same supply problems as Avara (we don't all have a wood workshop at hand either), and that would only add to the time it takes us to make them.

Besides I'm sure Eric can make great Celtic knotwork on his piece with something other than a pink ribbon. Wink

PS Graeme, how did you know I was planning on doing a red-hatted cow???
Alanna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Juliejools on Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:16 pm

I have sent an SMS to Cyanure to ask her opinion, it was her idea to send something to Carol in the first place and therefore she should have the final say on the options we have so far Wink
Juliejools

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme of the stupidly lo on Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:18 pm

Alanna wrote:You're going so fast...
PS Graeme, how did you know I was planning on doing a red-hatted cow???

It was just a wild guess Very Happy
Graeme of the stupidly lo

View user profile http://www.graeme-skinner.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Juliejools on Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:25 pm

Ok, don't worry about Graeme having more work to do with regard cutting out, it's what he has a workshop full of tools for. Marking up will take longer than cutting Laughing I know that some folks aren't as handy with this kind of thing and don't have access to tools or decent hardware stores, I don't recall seeing one in Paris for instance

UPDATE

I have heard from Cyanure, she has decided it shall be......the wall hanging idea. Wink
Juliejools

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alanna on Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:34 pm

So the ribbon would go into a hole at the top of each piece from the front to the back, thus going down behind the piece and coming out again at the bottom, right?
I'm sure it'll be no problem for Carol (helped by Guen if need be) to "needle" those threads. Actually I think that might be the fun part, deciding which piece goes where, and if really Gandalf should be staring directly at the French cow or rather be way above her and so on...

As Graeme said it solves a lot of problems, like the fitting together, replacing a piece gone off to Zanzibar, telling up and down, the ribbon colour itself, the ribbon taking space away from the artwork...

All I (and I imagine for the others it'd be similar) would need now to prepare is to know about the material I can/should use (remember some of us have no clue about painting on wood, so those who do and answer here please be as specific as possible) and what I'd have to be careful about so as not to ruin it or have it ruined by postal services.
Alanna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme of the stupidly lo on Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:41 pm

I'm going to use a manufactured board that is really smooth (so that it takes our masterpieces easily) I'll then prime the pieces in white so that they are ready for either paint, pencil, application of other materials Rolling Eyes you get the idea. If people are concerned that their piece needs a finish of some sort then Inki I would say is the best person to contact for this, otherwise the pieces can be sent straight to Carol.

Not sure yet what I'll doodle on my square yet though Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  Juliejools on Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:42 pm

Work to a size of 3 inches square (7.5 cms).

Work in any material you feel happy with, so if you want to do your picture onto paper and then stick that onto your piece when it arrives, feel free. I personally won't be working directly on to the wood.

Remember to take a picture of your piece before you post it.

All pieces will arrive in a padded envelope and will have a sticker with Carol's adress on it. Please re-use the envelope unless it has been too badly damaged.

Thanks for your input and help so far folks

Very Happy
Juliejools

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Turin on Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:08 pm

Thanks everybody for working this out. I look forward to getting my piece.
TT
Turin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  InKibus on Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:58 pm

Agreed that this is a great step to take. cheers

So, I assume we'll have a specific amount of pieces and people they'll be sent to.
When they are sent to those people, i assume we'll start a thread STRICTLY for 'I got mine! I painted mine! I am re-sending mine!'

I will gladly refinish any piece that needs it. Wink

And after we all get our pieces, I suppose we'll figure out the timetable sending them to Carol. bounce
InKibus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme of the stupidly lo on Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:04 pm

Yes we'll need a thread for when they're received and what we've put on them; as to timetable perhaps the first person (or couple of people) to send their piece to Carol can have a brief note enclosed to 'watch the post for further developments' then we can post them to her when we've completed them - then the arrival of pieces will be spread out over a few weeks rather than all at once. We could always send her the ribbon and hanger first with a note saying "hang on to this, you'll need it soon", then when she starts to receive the tiles she has something to dangle them off.

Back to top Go down

Post  Juliejools on Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:11 pm

There's no point in a timetable as such because we can't specify exactly when they will arrive with Carol anyway. Darn postal services!

A good idea sending the ribbon and hanger first.

Pink ribbon has been ordered already, 10m (yards), also padded envelopes for sending out pieces and for resending out to Carol.

We'll get threads going as and when appropriate for "got it", "sent it" etc Very Happy
Juliejools

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  InKibus on Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:14 pm

Oooh, good idea about sending the hanger/ribbon first, with some note about 'Be ready for more.'

And as I have said too, I would love to stagger the arrival of the pieces in a timely way.
But I am sure the mail will remain unpredictable as it always is around the holidays, and with people shipping from from overseas, we'll have to be totally sure.
Still, I am sure we'll work something out. bom

EDIT- Dang, Jools just beat me to the point. lol!
InKibus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avara on Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:03 am

Ok, I'm ready for my piece! (Not really, but I thought being positive was a good start. Laughing ) Now that we aren't "tied" to just using the acrylic paint this could be much easier for me. I'm gathering our pieces could even become a bit more dimensional if we desired. Smile

I agree with sending the hanger and ribbons first. Jools, great job on already ordering the padded envelopes and making up the labels. You rock. Cool
Avara

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ajchimaera on Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:21 am

Looks like you've sorted out the details fine Very Happy
So are we hunting our own pieces of set dimensions or still receiving them from G&J?
Do all the holes have to be 'top' and 'bottom', or couldn't there be the odd diagonal as well? Then Carol could have some fun coming up with arrangements for straight/diagonal pieces Very Happy
eg ________
[] [] []
<> []<>
[] <> []
[] [] []
<> []<>

Or something Razz Just a thought.
So it's 4x4 (inches I assume?) block o' wood; concepts can start then Very Happy
I'm thinking something with mermaids - I think she likes those.
ajchimaera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avara on Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:46 am

AJ, this was posted by Jools earlier. Hopefully it will clarify a bit for you. (Yes, G&J are still sending out the pieces.)

Juliejools wrote:Work to a size of 3 inches square (7.5 cms).

Work in any material you feel happy with, so if you want to do your picture onto paper and then stick that onto your piece when it arrives, feel free. I personally won't be working directly on to the wood.

Remember to take a picture of your piece before you post it.

All pieces will arrive in a padded envelope and will have a sticker with Carol's address on it. Please re-use the envelope unless it has been too badly damaged.
Hmm... if Alanna is InKi's secretary, maybe I should volunteer to be Jool's. Laughing
Avara

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ajchimaera on Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:19 am

Very Happy Muchly appreciated, thanks!
Hmm, I have been wanting to try some wood - I could always go over it with a pasted layer if I muck up too much. I'm certainly a lot better with pencils than paint.
Sorry for being dense - my mind hasn't felt up to collating and clarifying data by itself Razz
ajchimaera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avara on Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:25 am

No need to feel dense, AJ. There has been a lot of information tossed around. At least with Graeme putting a base coat of white on the wood you have the option to use pencils if that is what you are most comfortable with. Also, if you feel it would need some sort of protective coat afterward, contact InKi. I'm sure she'd be happy to give you some advise on that. Smile
Avara

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  canuck girl on Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:27 am

Well done, everyone, in sorting this out to the most simple way to do it! Very Happy

canuck girl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Janet-Xenia on Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:04 am

OK, it looks like we have a decision, then.

Couple of notes:
The padded envelope will have UK stamps, etc, on it, but it should be easy to put Carol's address sticker on a manila envelope just bigger than the padded one, and slip the one inside the other to send it on.

Doing the pieces this way, Carol could use them for Christmas ornaments before she hangs them all together on the pegs.

Is Inki doing the peg board?

Off to figure out what to do on my square.........................

Janet-Xenia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme of the stupidly lo on Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:39 am

Janet-Xenia wrote:OK, it looks like we have a decision, then.
Is Inki doing the peg board?

I'll message Inki and see what the best plan is Very Happy

Graeme

Back to top Go down

Post  Juliejools on Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:40 pm

Ok a couple of points to make regarding previous comments...

AJ, sticking to squares for everyone is simpler all round, especially on the organising front, we, that is Graeme and I, don't have to remember who was sent a diamond rather than a square etc Wink

Janet, yes the envelopes will have UK stamps and customs labels on, they peel off or you can stick a piece of paper over to cover everything Wink
Juliejools

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alanna on Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:41 pm

Great idea about sending the ribbon first.

Avara, feel free to work as secretary. I can't handle more than one side job anyway, and Jools is even more demanding than the Bunny.

I agree about the uselessness of a timetable, I bet that even if we all put our in the mail on the very same day, Carol wouldn't receive even two on a given day.

Question regarding AJ and Rosie: Will NZ Post allow wood into the land? I've heard numerous times on the forum that NZ and its big neighbour are extremely fussy.

Edit: InKi, if I do something in coloured pencil, should I send it to you for coating or whatever it's called?
Alanna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Juliejools on Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:49 pm

Avara, offered to be secretary but she's off on a trip soon, I'll manage...I make lists you know Wink

With regard to getting things to AJ and Rosie, all I can say is we'll have to wait and see what happens, I have to think what to put on the customs form to make them think it's not wood Laughing
Juliejools

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next