What I had in mind

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

What I had in mind

Post  Cyanure on Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:18 pm

What I had in mind with this story of puzzle was simple.

Finding a white puzzle and sending a piece of it to every hower interested. Every hower would write or draw something on his piece.

Graeme will probably make the puzzle himself and will send us "our" piece. Of course, for people far far away it would be easier to them to make themselves their piece and sending it to Carol.

My idea is to find a motive easy to reproduce on the puzzle, to give a cohesion to the set. Something very simple, as drawings for the children. You know, these drawings where it nearly not more than to add the color. We would reproduce this drawing on the computer in superimposingof the puzzle for each knows how to realize its line on the piece.

Now we had to find how to make it safety. but there's one thing I'm sure. We'll do it and it will be great. cheers

Admin

View user profile http://carolspuzzle.1fr1.net

Back to top Go down

Re: What I had in mind

Post  tree on Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:47 pm

How about putting a white picture online with the puzzle lines on it, and assign a specific piece to a specific Hower. Then we all know the shape of it and only have to trace the outline on a (watercolour, fine grain, 300 g/m²?) paper and get started.
If the whole thing is going to be bigger than the A4 print, why not scan the individual pieces for size and shape guides and send them via email? (so that when we print it out, it will be printed at the correct 100%. Maybe put a ruler next to the puzzle piece and scan the two things to make sure).
But then, if Carol has gotten the whole puzzle - do the puzzle pieces have to interact with each other and make sense together? Or is every piece randomly and individually designed? There should be a common theme to each of them, shouldn't it?
My, I hope everyone understands me. It all makes sense in my head, not sure about yours
tree

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cyanure on Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:53 pm

concerning the drawing...

what about her avatar ?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Juliejools on Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:55 pm

I think we need some sort of theme for this so as it doesn't look entirely jumbled.

Janet suggested a quote or maybe a pink ribbon to cover a portion of each piece with space for our own design.

I think something a bit more substantial than just watercolour paper to put it on Wink
Juliejools

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tree on Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:56 pm

A puzzle drawing of the painting she did herself and put in her profile as her avatar? ... Not something more supportive and encourageing?
tree

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cyanure on Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:59 pm

well I thaught it could be the main subject if you look at it from "far" and when you look closer you could see supportive and encourageing words. or something like that. it's just an idea ^^

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Juliejools on Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:02 pm

This evening Graeme and I will have a play around with some design ideas and if anything comes out looking half reasonable we'll show you tomorrow. The plan is to get a big layout pad and some pencils and pens and scribble and doodle and see what we come up with Razz
Juliejools

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  InKibus on Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:08 pm

Yaaaah! I am excited ! bounce

And on the nice idea of a pink ribbon through it, I assume Graeme has a drill press or something?

I love the idea, but don't want to structurally weak each piece. I have a drill press, But would feel really cautious drill over someone artwork
on each piece...
(Just coming up with everything that crosses my mind!!)
InKibus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Janet-Xenia on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:19 pm

Inki, the ribbon idea is to paint a ribbon that flows through each piece of the puzzle. Each participant will have to paint in their section of the ribbon as it flows through their piece and around or through their artwork. No drilling necessary.

Janet-Xenia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nadine on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:20 pm

Oh I thought it would be more like a big ribbon going through the whole thing like it's a big present, the ribbon idea is not very clear to me, could someone make a doodle or a little sketch of how it should go?

I had that in mind, but with a more pretty ribbon, or erm, tissue like:

nadine

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alanna on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:59 pm

You know, a pink ribbon (for breast cancer awareness) winding its way like a snake through the puzzle - I like that idea that each piece is marked with the points where the ribbon should enter and exit, so each of us can make it do what it wants as long as it remains continuous.

Does that help Nadine, or do you still need a doodle?
Alanna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Juliejools on Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:01 am

There's a couple of us working on it now Nadine, we'll show you what we mean when we have something decent to show, right now we have several pages flying into the fire...but we're getting somewhere Wink
Juliejools

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme of the stupidly lo on Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:24 am

Cyanure wrote:What I had in mind with this story of puzzle was simple.

I think we need to keep the plan simple, if it gets too complicated or there are too many legs in the puzzles journey there are more chances of things to go wrong Mad

I can cut out the pieces and prime them early next week when we have a design finalised and send them out by mid week; I can of course drill the pieces for a ribbon or send the pieces out already with the ribbon painted on. One people have finished their masterpieces they could be posted straight to Carol so she receives them at random. I'll keep a template of each piece in case one goes astray though Mad

GRaeme
Graeme of the stupidly lo

View user profile http://www.graeme-skinner.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Janet-Xenia on Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:34 am

OK, I didn't mean to get complicated out of control, I just really liked the idea of having it assembled, sealed and finished for a quick check up before it got to her.

Janet-Xenia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Juliejools on Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:39 am

Not everyone will want to use the same sort of paint so maybe the finishng bit is not really appropriate.

I know a few folks won't have acrylics for instance and may not be able to get them easily.

scratch
Juliejools

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Janet-Xenia on Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:42 am

Inki knows a lot more about that than I do.

Janet-Xenia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Turin on Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:33 am

I think the idea of Graeme constructing the puzzle and putting the winding ribbon on it is a good idea.
Each person gets a piece of it to decorate, and the pink ribbon dictates how it gets assembled.
?
TT
Turin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  InKibus on Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:41 am

OH! PAINT IT! LOL, I thought we were literally going to drill holes and loop a ribbon through!! cheers
Don't mind me, I wok in a woodshop! geek
InKibus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avara on Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:42 am

InKi, dear have you been getting enough sleep lately?
Avara

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  InKibus on Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:05 am

Whhhhat? Is it showing? affraid

You are right, actually.

My sister has started the new habit of....
gasp
staying up rather later chatting or IM to her new guy buddy. (Ahhhhhh!!!!!! silent )
Still sharing the same bedroom one can't help but stay up and HOPE she'll come up to bed soon.....

Back on topic, before I go to bed, if there is to be a pink ribbon painted on this, it'll probably best be done while the
puzzle is WHOLE.

Before it leaves Graeme and Jools?
WHen I have the pieces? (Ribbons aren't totally my forte, but pink is...)
Janet When she gets it?

More cud for us to chew on.

Sleep
InKibus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Avara on Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:29 am

InKibus wrote:Back on topic, before I go to bed, if there is to be a pink ribbon painted on this, it'll probably best be done while the
puzzle is WHOLE.
I addressed something similar somewhere else (too many threads all discussing the same things, IMHO). It appears Graeme is going to put marks on puzzle where the ribbon falls on each piece, and each of us will then paint it a shade/hue of pink that reflects who we are.

I hope that makes sense to my tired bunny friend.
Avara

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme of the stupidly lo on Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:50 am

There is another option of course, everyone has their photograph taken with a black background wearing a black shirt, email me the picture with a message, I'll then make a montage of all the heads and messages then I can send the image to one of those companies that produce jigsaws from images Smile It removes the risk of pieces going missing in multiple mailings however it's not as 'hands on' as the other type.

Also, as to the central message, with Carol being into all things Elfiefied how about the central message being in Tengwar - it'll give her something to translate too Very Happy

Graeme

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme of the stupidly lo on Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:21 pm

Here is a quick sketch/idea of a panoramic puzzle with the ribbon around the edge...

Larger version

Central pieces are 3 inch (7.5 cm) square.

Each Hower to decorate with picture or something that represents themselves (ie. Alanna and a wee moo cow Smile )

Rather than finish each piece with varnish/sealer/whatever perhaps we could ask Inki to make a frame for the completed puzzle which can be sent to Carol when she has all the pieces then all she'd need to do is buy a piece of glass and put it together - then the pieces are protected and it's easy to display.

Comments please???

Back to top Go down

Post  Corwin on Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:28 pm

I still do not have a clear vision of what should go on the puzzle:
– is it a whole picture cut down into individual pieces? If yes, there is no way they will align properly if they're painted by different persons without the other pieces at hand, no matter how hard you try;
– or will there be an individual picture on each piece of the puzzle, with no relation to the other pictures? In this case, there's no real point to a puzzle, and you couldn't even tell how to align the pieces.
Corwin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Juliejools on Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:40 pm

Last night Graeme and I spent quite some time trying to figure out how to make this a "proper" puzzle. It is very complicated, some of us are good with art works and some are not.

The idea then came about that we each draw something that represents ourselves. As Graeme said for Alanna a cow, for yourself, maybe something Roman?

It would be up to each individual to decide what to put on their piece.

Once Carol gets all the pieces then it's up to her to arrange them in whatever way she wishes within the ribbon border.

No-one else has put forward an idea for a design so this is to get the ball rolling or if people like it then we can go with this.
Juliejools

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next